S.3356 - Global Conservation Act of 2012
A bill to strengthen the role of the United States in the international community of nations in conserving natural resources to further global prosperity and security. view all titles (2)
All Bill Titles
- Official: A bill to strengthen the role of the United States in the international community of nations in conserving natural resources to further global prosperity and security. as introduced.
- Short: Global Conservation Act of 2012 as introduced.
This Bill currently has no wiki content. If you would like to create a wiki entry for this bill, please Login, and then select the wiki tab to create it.
- Today: 3
- Past Seven Days: 6
- All-Time: 1,789
Official SummaryGlobal Conservation Act of 2012 - Directs the Secretary of State to enter into an arrangement with the National Academy of Sciences to conduct a study of, and report to Congress on, U.S. international conservation programs to determine the extent to which such programs are: (1) advancing co
Official SummaryGlobal Conservation Act of 2012 - Directs the Secretary of State to enter into an arrangement with the National Academy of Sciences to conduct a study of, and report to Congress on, U.S. international conservation programs to determine the extent to which such programs are:
(1) advancing conservation in the world's most ecologically and economically important terrestrial and marine ecosystems;
(2) addressing natural resource challenges;
(3) advancing U.S. foreign policy priorities in areas such as security, democratization, sustainable food production, and clean water;
(4) enhancing economic and wildlife conservation benefits derived from properly managed international hunting and angling tourism; and
(5) addressing poaching, illegal logging, fishing, and wildlife trafficking. Directs the President:
(1) to establish the Interagency Working Group on Global Conservation; and
(2) through such Working Group, to establish the International Conservation Strategy to strengthen the capacity of the United States to collaborate with other countries, international organizations, the private sector, and private voluntary organizations to conserve natural resources and enhance biodiversity. Requires the Strategy to provide a comprehensive plan of action that identifies specific and measurable benchmarks, goals, and time frames. Requires the Working Group to ensure that the Strategy is appropriate to local needs and conditions and incorporates the views of partner countries. Establishes the Global Conservation Public Advisory Board to:
(1) advise the Working Group on matters related to U.S. international conservation policies and programs and the implementation of the Strategy; and
(2) ensure that the best scientific, policy, economic security, and business expertise are reflected in U.S. international conservation strategies and policies. Prohibits any provision in this Act from being construed as restricting, limiting, or otherwise impairing:
(1) properly managed recreational hunting and angling, or
(2) the ability of any foreign jurisdiction or authority to authorize regulated programs supporting wildlife for local consumption and commercialization. Urges the President to work with foreign assistance donor countries to:
(1) develop a comprehensive international conservation assistance strategy consistent with the United States International Conservation Strategy,
(2) identify multilateral mechanisms to coordinate international action, and
(3) agree on a timetable for achieving the goals of the United States International Conservation Strategy.
...Read the Rest
Organizations Supporting S.3356
- Alliance for Global Conservation
- Association of Fish and Wildlife Agencies
- Boone & Crockett Club
- Campfire Club of America
- Congressional Sportsmen’s Foundation
- Masters of Fox Hounds Association
- ...and 11 more. See all.
Organizations Opposing S.3356
- None via MapLight at this time.
Latest Letters to Congress
S.3356 Global Conservation Act of 2012
July 11, 2012
The National Shooting Sports Foundation (NSSF), the trade associatoin for America's firearm, ammunition, hunting and recreational shooting sports industry, strongly supports S.3356 - Global Conservation Act of 2012. We urge you to cosponsor and support S. 3356.