S.3706 - Americans Want to Work Act

A bill to extend unemployment insurance benefits and cut taxes for businesses to create hiring incentives, and for other purposes. view all titles (4)

• Official: A bill to extend unemployment insurance benefits and cut taxes for businesses to create hiring incentives, and for other purposes. as introduced.
  • Popular: Americans Want to Work Act as introduced.
  • Short: Americans Want to Work Act as introduced.

• Sher1 10/18/2010 3:48pm

GOVOTE 2010: Volunteers needed to call registered voters! www.onenationworkingtogether.org/callnow Kiss HR 4213 and S3706 good-bye if the Republicans gain majority on 11/2. Hide whatever assets you have,we’re heading to figi to live before that tunnel ALL of mainstream USA underground! Take nothing for granted with the GOP aka Teabaggers aka Conservative fanatics. Karl Rove blasts President Obama and he receives $13 MILLION dollars from Conservative Action groups that are funding ALL the teabaggers running. Money talks folks! Thats how George Bush got his 2nd term through FEAR and MONEY! WAKE-UP AMERICA!

• Spam Comment

Abaratarrr 10/24/2010 6:19am

do you just make this crap up? is your argument that the party raising and spending the most money is bad and shouldn’t be vote for?

you said.
    " Money talks folks! Thats how George Bush got his 2nd term through FEAR and MONEY! WAKE-UP AMERICA!"

but in reality the democrats have raised more money, have 53% more money on hand have spent and are spending more money this election cycle the the republicans.

“Democratic candidates have a financial edge—they ended the third quarter with an average of 53% more cash on hand than their Republican opponents”

“Democrats have also invested heavily to turn out their vote. Not only will unions spend an estimated $200 million to get their supporters to the polls, but the Democratic National Committee is also investing $50 million in helping state Democratic parties with their ground games. The GOP’s efforts have been much smaller.”

Sher1 10/24/2010 10:17am

@Abaratarr: Funny how you interjected the UNIONS connection with the Democrats but didn’t connect the CONSERVATIVES and TEABAG PARTY with the GOP. Feed that B.S. to someone else who’s stupid enough to accept it with important parts left out. You can throw in the GOP-CONSERVATIVES-TEABAG PARTY all in the same backed-up toilet and the price tag spent is in the BILLIONS! You conviently left that part out as it relates to the RIGHT! You can shovel that horse manure to someone stupid enough to accept it. Thats what is wrong with America!

FLarlene 10/24/2010 10:32am

Sher1, we have corporations contributing to the Republican Party hand over fist because of the SCOTUS Citizens United case, and of course the Koch Brothers.
    I, as Nancy does, live in FL.
    A candidate named Rick Scott, a Tea Party Republican and Medicare Fraud crook is running neck and neck with Alex Sink (a she) Democrat.
    Bill Maher’s New Rules this past week stated that the Evangelical s**tkickers and the Tea Party people are angry as hell and energized.
    As you have stated, where was all this anger when Bush blew up this country.
    If Scott wins as Governor, this state is so screwed. While the national unemployment rate went down to 9.2 or so, ours went back up to 11.8%.
    Florida’s State House and Senate are all Republicans, and if Scott wins, he has stated he will lay off more public employees, besides other things. He is so anti education, but that is a story for another day.

nancym 10/24/2010 11:51am

Scott also doesn’t believe in science—“I don’t believe in global warming.” Just what we need in a state like Florida!

BTW, you may be upset with me, but I’m trying to convince my friends NOT to vote for Meek, my own Congressman. I know you and many other Floridians were cursing out Crist last year, but the big villains were the legislature. In all, Crist, though I don’t agree with him on many issues, and he is obviously a political player in some ways, did more for the unemployed in the last couple of years than Meek has done, even though he holds powerful committee seats in Congress.

I don’t believe all the corruption accusations, and I still think Meek is basically a decent guy, and did well in the debate I saw, but the bottom line is—he can’t win this time around, not with the poll numbers he’s pulling at this stage.

The only way to stop Rubio is to vote for Crist, and even if Meek’s supporters all did that, it may still not be enough.

FLarlene 10/24/2010 3:17pm

Nancy, I like Crist. I was and still am going to vote for him. However, Rubio is so far ahead in the polls, the point is moot.
    Crist did not have a lot of cash after leaving the Republican Party to run his campaign, but I don’t think politics is over for him.
    Oh, how I wish he had decided to stay in the Governor’s Mansion.

Abaratarrr 10/25/2010 4:10pm

being that the planet has been cooling off for 10 years now, wouldn’t that mean that people that believe in global warming do not believe in science or at the least they do not believe in thermometers?

nancym 10/27/2010 1:40am

Good grief, I hope you’re joking. Check your facts with the scientific community, not Fox News.

Sher1 10/27/2010 2:58am

@nancym: Its amazing they all have the same verbiage exactly from the mouths of those FOXNEWS commentators & guests AND of course the OXY king himself Rush Limbaugh.. Its pitiful the mindset and how easily manipulated they can be. GOVOTE 2010

Abaratarrr 10/27/2010 7:21pm

fox news? I did not know they reported weather, does the BBC count as a serious news source?
    Global temperatures this year will be lower than in 2007 due to the cooling effect of the La Nina current in the Pacific, UN meteorologists have said.

The World Meteorological Organisation’s secretary-general, Michel Jarraud, told the BBC it was likely that La Nina would continue into the summer.

This would mean global temperatures have not risen since 1998, prompting some to question climate change theory.

But experts have also forecast a record high temperature within five years.

‘Variability’

La Nina and El Nino are two great natural Pacific currents whose effects are so huge they resonate round the world.

Abaratarrr 10/27/2010 7:28pm

El Nino warms the planet when it happens, La Nina cools it. This year, the Pacific is in the grip of a powerful La Nina.

It has contributed to torrential rains in Australia and to some of the coldest temperatures in memory in snow-bound parts of China.

Mr Jarraud told the BBC that the effect was likely to continue into the summer, depressing temperatures globally by a fraction of a degree.

This would mean that temperatures have not risen globally since 1998 when El Nino warmed the world.

A minority of scientists question whether this means global warming has peaked and the earth has proved more resilient to greenhouse gases than predicted.

Global temperatures ‘to decrease’
    By Roger Harrabin
    BBC News environment analyst"

Abaratarrr 10/27/2010 7:37pm

or just go to http://www.worldweather.org/ or weather.com, or weatherbug.com any weather reporting website, pic a city look at the average temperatures for the last 12 years, do the math for your self. the planet has been cooling of since 1998. worldweather is probably the easiest to do this from.

even obama has quit using the term global warming due to the recent cooling off the current term is “climate change” they say it can be heating or cooling.

I am almost offended by the FOX news comment, I avoid the talking heads and major news networks (except cspan), those loud mouth freaks annoy the hell out of me. I tried the Ed show for for a while when he was trying to help us but his show started to seem more like the national inquirer then a news show, I got pretty much the same impression from all the us news networks, bunch of loud mouth freaks that talk in half truths and omissions, that and I can not stand their lack of manners and respect for other people.

Abaratarrr 10/24/2010 10:40am

is your argument that the democrats have not raised more and are not spending more then the republicans?

Because they are and have, democrats have raised more and have spent more money then the republicans have this election cycle.

I do not understand your point, you are saying the republicans are bad because they raised money and are spending lots of money yet democrats have raised more and are spending more money then the republicans.

If your argument was that the democrats have more support because they have been able to raise more money it might be somewhat valid but to say republicans are bed because they raised and spent a lot of money when democrats have raised and spent more money makes no since.

Sher1 10/24/2010 10:46am

@Abaratarr: I’m done! I believe was I said was clear and precise.

Abaratarrr 10/24/2010 11:16am

no, your were not clear and precise, just answer one question then I will understand.

Which party is bad? the one that has raised and spent the most money or the party that has raised and is spending the least amount of money?

I reads like you are criticizing a party for raising and spending to mush money, is that your point?

If your were trying to make a different point I do not get it, please explain.

Abaratarrr 10/24/2010 6:27am

and these clowns ,www.onenationworkingtogether.org, are the jerks that duped a bunch of unemployed people into investing into the October 2 amnesty for illegal aliens rally, by tell them that is was a 99ers rally, the unemployed were never mentioned! they lied to us, why should believe anything they say?

They are not trying to help us they are trying to manipulate us into helping them give citizenship to illegal aliens, how would that help us?

There is no tier 5 because the people currently in charge would not allow a vote, the are ignoring us they refused to vote for us now they should join us.

We only needed the support of 3 democratic senators to guarantee the passage of a tier 5, if there are not 3 democrats willing to help us they all need to be fired.

• Spam Comment

• Spam Comment

• nancym 10/18/2010 8:10pm

I hate to post even more things to worry about, and this only applies to someone still getting unemployment benefits, but I just heard from a good friend in Chicago today that she was automatically put into a new benefit year without any warning. That cut her benefits down to half of what they were, and what she was expecting to get until April, since she had only just finished Tier 1 and was expecting to be able to complete Tier 2 coming up, barring finding work.

To make things more ridiculously worse, those seniors in Illinois who also decided to collect SS get HALF of their unemployment benefits, according to current Illinois law. There are only two or three states left in the country who still have that kind of law, and Illinois is one of them.

HopefromCA 10/24/2010 10:14am

nancym
    I thought there was a bill that was put in place to keep the unemployed that are collecting unemployment benefits from being put on a new benefit year or did that change?

nancym 10/24/2010 11:42am

The last bill that passed, 4213 did have a clause in it that allows for keeping someone on EUC if a new benefit year would result in a certain degree of reduction in benefits. I keep forgetting the exact wording, because it always seemed rather ambiguous to me. But in fact I did recommend that my friend check into the possibility that they were mistaken in doing what they did. There was a guy here in Florida who went through several different reps, up the line of authority, getting different answers from each one, until finally they put him back with benefits. I think the reps are still not knowing what to do with that portion of the new law!

The wording is there in the bill for anyone needing to know, but be warned that it sounds like it could be interpreted in various ways. Most likely the DOL had to send out some kind of clarification to the agencies, that’s my guess.

• nancym 10/23/2010 5:10pm

testing testing testing testing

WasMiddleClass 10/24/2010 6:58am

I’ll be nice dear :)

nancym 10/24/2010 9:21am

Your comments are sometimes puzzling and I have no idea where you’re coming from. But I see you’re from Connecticut, and even though you registered three months ago, I don’t suppose you might be the same as a former “Patriotic” poster from years ago now, would you?

• nancym 10/23/2010 5:14pm

Wow! Finally!

Anyone who thought they alone couldn’t post on OC since last Tuesday, be aware that NO ONE has been able to post—anywhere on the site! Apparently it took a while for OC to notice the problem, and then fix the bug. (And here I thought at first that my last post left everyone speechless, HA-HA!)

I hope this is a permanent fix, and not a temporary fluke.

MrsChang 10/23/2010 7:01pm

Wow, things are finally up after a few days. My last two posts never made it. I was asking where everybody was. And yes, I thought maybe your last post made everybody run for cover. The end is coming, after all!

• Marcy 10/23/2010 6:50pm

Yay! I tried posting a few days ago and came up with a ‘that page does not exist’ and info to send an “Oops” email. I am so glad to see this up and running again!

Abaratarrr 10/24/2010 6:54am

my paranoid little noggin was figuring that the opencongress staff were upset that that there wasn’t much good news about their favorite political cult coming out so they were going to just shut the site down till after the election, to prevent any more damage to their cult. I know that is totaly basless just my first(and wrong) conclusion after the site wouldn’t take comments after a few days.

It looks like opencogress is having some money problems, I think it mostly stems from their bloggers who pander to people that do not believe in charitable donations while consistently bashing groups that are more likely to donate money to non-profits. I think if opencongress would have stuck to the unbiased principles that were in place when this place was first launched by the sunlight foundation(awesome group) they would get all the donations they need.

nancym 10/24/2010 9:12am

“I think it mostly stems from their bloggers who pander to people that do not believe in charitable donations while consistently bashing groups that are more likely to donate money to non-profits.”

—That sentence makes no sense at all. Who are people who don’t believe in charitable donations? Believe it or not, people lower down on the financial rung are more likely to give to charities, maybe not giant contributions, but statistically more of a percentage of their resources than the wealthy as a whole.

Send Your Senator a Letter