S.929 - LEARN Act
A bill to establish a comprehensive literacy program. view all titles (3)
All Bill Titles
- Official: A bill to establish a comprehensive literacy program. as introduced.
- Short: LEARN Act as introduced.
- Short: Literacy Education for All, Results for the Nation Act as introduced.
This Bill currently has no wiki content. If you would like to create a wiki entry for this bill, please Login, and then select the wiki tab to create it.
- Today: 2
- Past Seven Days: 5
- All-Time: 2,924
Official SummaryLiteracy Education for All, Results for the Nation Act or LEARN Act - Authorizes the Secretary of Education to award grants to states for comprehensive planning to improve the literacy of children from birth through grade 12. Directs the Secretary to award grants to states to implement thei
Official SummaryLiteracy Education for All, Results for the Nation Act or LEARN Act - Authorizes the Secretary of Education to award grants to states for comprehensive planning to improve the literacy of children from birth through grade 12. Directs the Secretary to award grants to states to implement their comprehensive literacy plans for such children through:
(1) competitive subgrants to local educational agencies (LEAs) or early childhood education programs to carry out certain high quality early literacy initiatives for children from birth through kindergarten entry;
(2) competitive subgrants to LEAs for certain initiatives to improve the literacy of students in kindergarten through grade 12, provided such LEAs have jurisdiction over a significant number or percentage of underperforming schools or have a high number or percentage of underperforming or impoverished students; and
(3) state activities that include providing technical assistance to subgrantees, coordinating literacy programs and resources throughout the state, disseminating information on promising literacy programs, and enhancing the credentials of literacy instructors. Gives subgrant priority to applicants serving a high number or percentage of impoverished children and, for those serving students from kindergarten through grade 12, a high number or percentage of students reading and writing below grade level. Requires the Secretary to:
(1) contract with an independent organization for a five-year national evaluation of the implementation and effect of the literacy initiatives supported by this Act, and
(2) provide technical assistance and information on literacy instruction to educational entities. Authorizes the Secretary to withhold this Act's funding from states and subgrantees, and states to withhold funding from subgrantees, whose initiatives are not making significant progress in improving student literacy.
...Read the Rest
Organizations Supporting S.929
- National Council of Teachers of English
- Learning Disabilities Association of America
- National Education Association
- Alliance for Excellent Education
Organizations Opposing S.929
- None via MapLight at this time.