Balanced Budget Act
From OpenCongress Wiki
In the Balanced Budget Act of 1997 (Govtrack), Congress expanded the FCC's auction authority to include discretion over competitive bidding exemptions, such as public safety services, digital television licenses to replace analog licenses, and non-commercial educational and public broadcast stations.  The legislation was sponsored by former Rep. John Kasich, R-Ohio, now the host of "Inside the Heartland with John Kasich" on the Fox News Channel.
Articles and Resources
Related SourceWatch resources
- See the other articles at the Communications, Science and Intellectual Property Policy (U.S.) portal.
- See the main Congresspedia article on Digital television.
- See the main Congresspedia article on Spectrum.
- About Auctions Federal Communications Commission.
- Lennard Kruger, The Digital TV Transition: A Brief Overview Congressional Research Service, Aug. 12, 2005.
- Lennard Kruger, Digital Television: An Overview Congressional Research Service, updated Jan. 23, 2007.