John Murtha/Articles & Commentary
From OpenCongress Wiki
The following are Articles & Commentary related to John P. Murtha.
- Profile: John P. Murtha, USA Today.
- Abscam in the Wikipedia.
- VIDEO links:
- The American Spectator: Full video of Murtha's Abscam meeting with the FBI, September 29, 2006. Link to full 53-minute, 40-second video posted on Google video. Also read full January 7, 1980, video transcript.
- Fox News' Hannity & Colmes, October 3, 2006. 7-minute, 30-second YouTube video; show transcript.
- SquawkboxNoise, "For Your Review The John Murtha Abscam Tape (Updated)," Lone Star Times, November 14, 2006. Link to full video posted on Google.
- "The FBI Stings Congress," TIME Magazine, February 18, 1980.
- Dennis Roddy, "They don't know Jack," Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, November 20, 2005.
- Shailagh Murray, "The About-Face of a Hawkish Democrat. Murtha, With Many Military Connections, Moves From Voting for War to Urging Troop Withdrawal," Washington Post, November 25, 2005.
- Randy Hall and Marc Morano, "Murtha's Anti-War Stance Overshadows Abscam Past," Cybercast News Service, January 13, 2006.
- Michael Crowley, "Jack in the Box," The New Republic Online, June 6, 2006.
- David Holman, "The Rest of Murtha's FBI Tape," The American Spectator, July 12, 2006.
- "Unindicted co-conspirator as House majority leader? Murtha taped saying he wasn't interested in $50,000 Abscam bribe – 'at this point'," WorldNetDaily, November 13, 2006.
- Brent Baker, "Cued By Dems, NBC Shows ABSCAM Video of Murtha, Then Cites 'Swift Boat' Defense," NewsBusters, November 14, 2006.
- Rush Limbaugh, "Democrats Swiftboat Jack Murtha," RushLimbaugh.com, November 14, 2006.
- Ruth Marcus, "Unfit for Majority Leader," Washington Post, November 15, 2006.
- Howard Kurtz, "Targeting Murtha," Washington Post, November 15, 2006.
- Ralph Kinney Bennett, "What Did Mr. Murtha Mean?" Tech Central Station, November 15, 2006.
- Doug Thompson, "Murtha is too dirty to lead Democrats," The Rant/Capitol Hill Blue, November 15, 2006.
- "Congressman who led the charge in '91 hangs back for now," USA Today (Veterans for Common Sense), September 24, 2002.
- Hans Nichols, "Murtha signals Dem sea-change on Iraq. Respected hawk says conflict may be now 'unwinnable'," The Hill, May 6, 2004.
- Stephen Dinan, "Democrat says Bush war doomed," Washington Times, May 7, 2004.
- Jim Lobe, "Rummy on the Rocks," Inter Press Service (Common Dreams), May 7, 2004.
- Ted Barrett, "'Unwinnable' comment draws GOP fire. Democratic lawmaker says changes needed for victory," CNN, May 10, 2004.
- "Veteran Lawmakers Allied Against Abuse," Associated Press (DCCC.org), November 17, 2005.
- "Call for Withdrawal," PBS Online NewsHour, November 17, 2005: "Rep. John Murtha, D-Pa., ranking Democrat on the Defense Appropriations Subcommittee and a former supporter of the Iraq war, said Thursday that U.S. troops should leave within six months."
- jesselee, "Murtha in Full," The Stakeholder, November 17, 2005. Full Murtha statement, "Murtha Resolution To Redeploy U.S. Forces from Iraq," and video clip (at end of posting).
- "House Republicans Respond to Murtha," New York Times, November 17, 2005.
- Taylor Marsh, "Murtha Pulls the Trigger," TaylorMarsh.com, November 17, 2005.
- David Stout, "Influential House Democrat Urges Immediate Iraq Pullout," New York Times, November 17, 2005.
- Greg Mitchell, "It's Your War Now: Part III," Editor & Publisher, November 17, 2005: "Did America witness a "Cronkite moment" today? Newspaper editorials have long lagged far behind reader sentiment on Iraq, and now even pro-war members of Congress are speaking out. Today, Rep. John Murtha, the hawkish ex-Marine, delivered a surprising call for withdrawal that opinion-makers must address."
- Vicki Allen, "Democratic hawk presses for U.S. Iraq pullout," Reuters, November 17, 2005.
- Liz Sidoti, "Hawkish Democrat Calls for Iraq Pullout," Associated Press (CentreDaily.com), November 17, 2005.
- Joe Gandelman, "Prominent Democratic Supporter Of War Calls For Immediate Withdrawal," The Moderate Voice, November 17, 2005.
- Terry, "Murtha," Nitpicker, November 17, 2005.
- Dana Milbank, "An Unlikely Lonesome Dove," Washington Post, November 18, 2005.
- E.J. Dionne, Jr., "An Iraq Deadline for Bush," Washington Post, November 18, 2005.
- "White House: Murtha's call is 'surrender'. Democratic hawk: U.S. must leave Iraq," CNN, November 18, 2005.
- Eric Schmitt, "Fast Withdrawal of G.I.'s Is Urged by Key Democrat," New York Times, November 18, 2005.
- Bennett Roth, "The War of Words Over Iraq Intensifies. An influential Democrat who served in Vietnam calls for a pullout, rankling the GOP," Houston Chronicle, November 18, 2005.
- "The Plea of a Veteran," American Progress Action Fund Talking Points, November 18, 2005.
- Jill Zuckman, "Call to exit Iraq escalates fierce war of words. Congressman says mission is harmful to U.S.," Chicago Tribune, November 18, 2005.
- John Aravosis, "Associated Press calls critics of war anti-military," AMERICAblog, November 18, 2005.
- Liz Sidoti, "Republicans seek vote on withdrawal proposal," Associated Press (Chicago Sun-Times), November 18, 2005.
- Patricia Koyce Wanniski, "Murtha: Opening the Debate," The Conservative Voice, November 18, 2005.
- Charles Babington, "Hawkish Democrat Joins Call For Pullout. GOP Assails Murtha's Demand to Leave Iraq," Washington Post, November 18, 2005.
- Joe Gandelman, "Murtha's Anti-War Comments: A Turning Point In More Ways Than One?" The Moderate Voice, November 18, 2005.
- Josh Gerstein, "Bush in 'Nosedive' as Murtha Urges Iraq Retreat," New York Sun (Common Dreams), November 18, 2005.
- Andrea Stone, "Troops' pain, not politics, behind stance," USA Today (Yahoo! News), November 18, 2005.
- Larry Johnson, "Why John Murtha is Right," TPM Cafe, November 18, 2005; also posted on TruthOut website.
- John Aravosis, "Iraq is Terri Schiavo," AMERICAblog, November 19, 2005: "Already dead, living on borrowed time, but the Republicans refuse to accept the inevitable. Yes, you can prolong the patient's life for decades. But at what cost, and for what real benefit?"
- "House spurns calls for immediate Iraq pullout. GOP-orchestrated bill fails, as intended; Dems deride it as a political stunt," Associated Press (MSNBC), November 19, 2005.
- Joanne Kenen, "Iraq war critic predicts withdrawal by US elections," Reuters, November 20, 2005.
- Susan Lenfestey, "John Murtha: An Eagle Amid the Turkeys," Common Dreams, November 22, 2005.
- Shailagh Murray, "The About-Face of a Hawkish Democrat. Murtha, With Many Military Connections, Moves From Voting for War to Urging Troop Withdrawal," Washington Post, November 25, 2005 (pg. A02).
- Editorial: "The Murtha Moment," The Nation, November 22, 2005 (posted); December 12, 2005 (issue).
- Robert Kagan and William Kristol, "Abandoning Iraq. Does Rep. Murtha understand the consequences of immediate withdrawal from Iraq?" The Weekly Standard, November 28, 2005 (issue).
- Howard Fineman, "Bush at the Tipping Point. A hawkish Democrat calls for an Iraq withdrawal, setting off a bitter fight in Washington over how, and when, the troops should come home," Newsweek (MSNBC), November 28, 2005 (issue).
- "John Murtha rips the Speech," Crooks and Liars, December 1, 2005: "Rep. Murtha joined Anderson Cooper yesterday and responded to President Bush's speech." QT and WMP links on page. See National Strategy for Victory in Iraq.
- Alexander Cockburn, "The Revolt of the Generals. 'Broken, Worn Out' and 'Living Hand to Mouth'," CounterPunch, December 3/4, 2005.
- Also see Swiftboating John Murtha.
- Robin Acton, "Murtha commands respect," Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, July 16, 2006.
- Richard Cowan, "House Democrats seek more Army funding," Reuters, July 26, 2006.
- Roxana Tiron, "Dems urge funding for Army readiness," The Hill, July 26, 2006.
- Holly Yeager, "Democrats and the war: Murtha rises on back of Iraq crusade," Financial Times (MSNBC), July 26, 2006.
- Jan Frel, "Conservative, old Pentagon pals are the Dems who lead on Iraq. It's odd, isn't it, that the Democrats who are out front on getting out of Iraq are Ike Skelton and Jack Murtha?" The Mix / AlterNet Blogs, July 27, 2006.
- Margaret Talev, "Is Murtha getting the last laugh? Johnstown Democrat now popular for calling for troop pullout from Iraq," McClatchy Newspapers (Boston Globe), August 20, 2006.
- Gur, "Congressman Owens Harangues Rep Murtha Over Brooklyn Visit", Room Eight, August 29, 2006.
- "CREW releases second annual most corrupt members of Congress report," Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington, September 20, 2006.
- Tim Jones, "Murtha: 'And they call me unpatriotic'. Ex-GI's anti-war stance recalls McGovern's bid," Chicago Tribune, October 22, 2006.
- "Murtha: 'There Is No Question' The U.S. Military Is Turning Against The Iraq War," Think Progress, October 29, 2006.
- Jonathan Weisman, "Pelosi Endorses Murtha as Next Majority Leader," Washington Post, November 13, 2006.
- Jay Newton-Small and Laura Litvan, "Pelosi Supports Murtha for Majority Leader Over Hoyer (Update3)," Bloomberg, November 13, 2006.
- Perry Bacon, Jr., "Behind the Democrats' Leadership Battle. The last thing the Democrats want to do as they regain control of Congress is get caught up in an internal power struggle. So why is incoming Speaker Nancy Pelosi backing the dark horse in the race to be her number two?" TIME Magazine, November 13, 2006.
- Justin Raimondo, "The Mugging of Murtha. Congressional Democrats betray the antiwar movement," antiwar.com, November 17, 2006.
- "Murtha Raises Alarm Over Study Group, Warns ‘Kissinger Came Out With The Same Type of Thing’," Think Progress, December 1, 2006.
- "Pelosi in Iraq to see for herself how war is going," Reuters, January 26, 2007. Murtha is part of congressional delegation.
- Anne Flaherty, "Murtha seeks to prohibit action in Iran. Murtha Seeks to Restrain U.S. Military Action in Iran; GOP Veterans Oppose Anti-War Bill," Associated Press (ABC News), February 15, 2007. re war in Iran
- BarbinMD, "The Murtha Smear Is On," Daily Kos, February 19, 2007. re The Politico and "slow-bleed" plan
- SilentPatriot, "Murtha: 'Why would I believe Cheney?'" Crooks and Liars, March 18, 2007.
- Faiz Shakir, "Murtha Floats Impeachment As ‘One Way To Influence The President’," Think Progress, April 29, 2007.
- Nico Pitney, "Murtha: Bush Administration Is Using Petraeus As A Political Prop," Think Progress, May 3, 2007. re David Petraeus
- "CREW releases 'Beyond DeLay: The 22 Most Corrupt Members of Congress (and two to watch)'," Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington, September 18, 2007.