Portal:Superdelegate Transparency Project/Help out/Transfer Profiles
From OpenCongress Wiki
Policies and Guidelines
Research and referencing
HuffPost's OffTheBus team interviewed hundreds of the superdelegates, and they're donating all of those interviews and profiles to the Superdelegate Transparency Project. We've already started "stub" pages on all of the superdelegates — we need you to help bring the OffTheBus content over to Congresspedia. You may want to keep this page open in a separate window so you'll have it for reference.
Here's how to copy the OffTheBus profile over to Congresspedia:
- First, click this link. It will take you to a list of profiles that need to be updated. Click on a person's name to open up their Congresspedia page, and then click "edit this page" at the top.
- Next, find the corresponding profile at OffTheBus. In a separate window or tab, open this link. Click on the correct state and scroll down until you find the profile.
- Time to copy and paste. They've done most of the work for you: just copy a statement and the corresponding link into the Congresspedia page. You may have to remove the bullet points and clean up some special characters.
- Try and match a statement to the correct section. Biographical information should go in the "Bio" section, for example.
- Include references When you copy a source link over to Congresspedia, enclose it in brackets, like this:
- If you're feeling adventurous There are two styles of referencing on Congresspedia, the beginner's method and the standard method. The beginner's method is described above, but the standard method is nicer. If you're citing the same reference more than once, you'll save a lot of time by using the standard method and this trick
- Watch for interview information. OffTheBus members interviewed many of these superdelegates, and inserted information they gleaned from the interviews into the profiles. They cited this information by writing, for example:
Interview with OffTheBus on Feb. 22, 2008.In this instance, cite the statement as follows:
<ref>[url "Interview with OffTheBus"], HuffingtonPost.com/off-the-bus, date</ref>For "url" use the link where you found the OffTheBus profile, and for "date" use the date of the interview.
- Repeat step three. Copy and paste all the statements listed for the superdelegate at OffTheBus.
- Remove the "OffTheBus" tag. While you're editing the superdelegate's Congresspedia page, remove the tag at the top that looks like this:
- Add a Wikipedia tag. If any of the OffTheBus information came from Wikipedia, add the following code to the "Articles and resources" section of the superdelegate's Congresspedia page:
- Preview your work. Click the "Show preview" button underneath the edit window, and check to make sure your changes look good.
- Save the profile.Click the "Save page" button underneath the window.